Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Questions about AGPC

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Amy Pavlic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2005
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    We are planning our first trip to AGPC in July for my oldest DD's birthday. It was going to be just me and my two girls, and I was trying to keep it kind of low key, I know it will probably be overwhelming the first time. We were going to shop for a few hours and see the store, have dinner in the cafe, and them go home.

    Well my 75 yo mother has decided she would like to come with us, nothing would please me more but she doesn't get around real well anymore.

    My questions are:
    Will I be able to drop her off at the entrance of the store, so she wouldn't have to walk from wherever there is parking?

    Are there place inside the store other than the cafe (chairs, benches, etc.) where she can sit down to rest when she becomes tired?

    Would having a Personal Shopper be able to help us with this?

    She is not wheelchair bound or anything and she can get around well if she uses a walker, but, she is too vain to do so. (Bless her heart, if she knew I told you all her age she would have my head!)

    I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member kymmy3's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 24th, 2003
    Posts
    323
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Chicago was great! I surprised Rachel with a trip for her 9th birthday.

    There are couches in the bookstore part on the main floor as well as in the basement the historical part.

    The store was VERY overwhelming. We arrived Friday and spent most of the day just letting Rachel run from place to place. Saturday was her birthday and we met up with Ingrid (who is AWESOME). She gave R the tour and put all our stuff aside.

    If you go to the cafe - avoid the tea. I found we didn't get much food and we were starving. The sandwhiches were also "different" and Rachel didn't like anything. The cafe was an experience. On a second trip I wouldn't bother going back. It is too expensive.

    We basically lived at AGP for three days -but it was great! THere is a lot to see. I would recommend going with a wish list, other wise it is just too overwhelming. Especially if you are only going for the day. THere is definately a lot to see.

    I have an album if you want I will post the link.

    Kym

  3. #3
    Inactive Member vew-tori's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are plenty of places to rest. My FIL checked out all of them - LOL. We were there for about 4 hours with DD. I'm not sure about dropping her off and/or parking. We walked from our hotel and my FIL took a cab back. Have a great time!

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner OSusannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    939
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's OK to drop someone off at the door-it's a no parking zone but just pulling up and letting out an older lady would be fine.

    If you're just not comfortable stopping right in front of the store, there is a side street to the west of the store (next to Comp USA which is next to AGPC). It's a one-way to the north and there is a loading dock that DH parks in sometimes while waiting for us to come out of the store (he doesn't leave the car). You could even walk with your mother to the store just to make sure she arrives safely, just don't leave the car unattended for more than a minute or two, it's a tow zone.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jlogemann17's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree- there are plenty of places to rest, and there are elevators and escalators, so you don't need to worry about stairs. We didn't have a Personal Shopper and I really don't know why you would need one. We loved wandering around the store taking it all in at our own pace. Plus we found everyone to be extremely friendly and helpful, so if you do need an extra hand, I think they would be accommodating.

    When we went with our daughters (age almost 6 & 8 at the time) we had lunch in the cafe, and LOVED it! It was well worth the money. Even my hubby who is a fairly big eater, got enough to eat. I think we had some fruit, then our sandwiches (the girls ordered little hotdogs and hamburgers- very kid-friendly), then 3 little desserts. It was quite nice. The girls got a huge kick out of the fact that the dolls had their own chairs and plates. We got a window table, and enjoyed the view while we ate. We would definetly do a lunch again if we went back.

    About the parking- I don't know how much you want to spend on it (I am a save money where I can so I can spend it when I really want type of person). At first we saw a parking ramp very close to the store, then we noticed it was something like $10 for the first 1/2 hour. I knew money spent on parking would be money not spent on AG stuff. My husband dropped us off at the door, then went and parked the car on the street about 5 blocks away for free. When you consider how much walking you do in the day, tagging on a few more blocks to save some money isn't a big deal.

    I hope you have a wonderfully fabulous time. We did!

    Jo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •